Wednesday, March 9, 2011

A Pelican's View: Week 2

As I sit in front of my computer for what is now becoming a weekly life update from the road (hey, that's almost a blog, isn't it?), my brain strains to grasp where the time as has gone and what's new.  It's remarkable how we as humans adjust to our surroundings and just begin to live life from whatever place we're in.

As of right now, I live in the Yucatan peninsula of Mexico with my family and dogs.  We've begun to take once per week trips into Merida or Progreso (a port town) to stock up on a few of the items that aren't available in Telchac Puerto's small shops, much like the locals.

We walk over to the Panaderia (bread shop) every day to pick up our bread, and the ladies there all know my son, Isaiah, by name.  They even save special treats for him.  A loaf of french bread costs 25 cents.  Want a cookie?  That's a nickel or a dime.  We can see the bakers kneading the dough in the back room......

That's just a snippet of what our days are like as we live (and I work) in Telchac Puerto.  All over the world, people are getting up and living life based on their surroundings.  Maybe it's a big office building in the United States.  Maybe it's a small town in Mexico.  What's remarkable (as I sit here and reflect on it this morning) is how little God cares about our environment, and how much He cares about what's going on inside us as people.  He doesn't give a rip about where we live, and I love that.

I love life in the States.  I love Mexico.  Alright, time to stop being mushy and sentimental.  Goodbye for now!

Pfingsten Family
Telchac Puerto, Yucatan
Mexico

No comments:

Post a Comment